The Metropolitan Rapid Transit or MRT is the subway system which has been operated since 2004. Bangkok MRT is one of the post popular public transportation systems for Bangkokians. It serves more than 240,000 passengers each day with 35 operational stations along 43 kilometers of underground route.
If you’re hungry while traveling within Bangkok, don’t worry, you can find many good places to eat along the Bangkok MRT line. I have selected some of my favorite spots near several main stations.
Read more: Bangkok MRT Map and Guide
Great Eateries around Bangkok MRT Stations
Hua Lamphong Station
Hua Lamphong Station is the initiate station of Bangkok MRT line, located on Rama 4 Road – right in front of Bangkok Railway Station which is also known as Hua Lamphong. There are a number of delicious low-key eateries around the area:
– China Town, one of the most popular food spots in Bangkok. Famous for street food, you can find many types of noodles, seafood as well as other usual favorites like pad thai, oyster omelet and dessert carts.
– Suki Jeh Ru Yi is a small authentic place near Hua Lamphon train station. They have huge menu, including more than 50 Thai popular dishes like tom yum, spring rolls, noodles, fried vegetables etc. Although service can be challenging during busy hours, it is great value. Your entire meal could cost only 200 baht!
– Hong Kong noodle is just opposite the train station. It serve Hong Kong style noodles, dim sum and other delicious dishes. It definitely can fill you up with very low price.
Ratchadaphisek Station is located on the Ratchadaphisek road. It is surrounded by office buildings, schools, hotels and entertainment spots like clubs, theatres and karaoke bars. There are numerous places to eat nearby:
– Esplanade, a popular shopping mall in the area which hosts the famous Muangthai Ratchadali Theatre also has many restaurants for you to choose. It has most of the famous chains like BBQ Plaza, Ootoya, Fuji, Shabushi, Lee Café, MK Gold, Secret Recipe and Seefah.
– Nathong, an old school restaurant famous among locals serving various authentic Thai dishes. The restaurant was featured in the movie Bangkok Dangerous. The menu is huge and the price is reasonable.
Silom Station is located at the beginning of Si Lom Road, in front of Dusit Thani Hotel. The station is the interchange station to BTS Sala Daeng. Si Lom is considered one of the most crowded stations as surrounded by hotels, shopping malls, markets, office buildings and banks. The area is always happening and popular among Thai and foreign visitors. There are many restaurants and street food areas that you should try.
– Sala Daeng and Convent Roads are two small roads full of street food, cafes and restaurants. Many new cafes, restaurants and even food trucks are opening up in the area, including Pizza Massilia. Some recommended cafes/ restaurants include Bitter Man serving Thai and western comfort food, Eat Me-serving unique and innovated international food and Touka-serving fresh Japanese food.
– Café Bangrak is a lovely café near serving a variety of food. If you are looking a place to chill out, this is the place for you. Café Bangrak has nice décor and attentive staff. Visiting this local café would definitely be a nice experience for you.
Sukhumvit Station is located on the busy business area of Bangkok, Sukhumvit Road. It is one of the most busy Bangkok MRT stations as being the interchange station with BTS Asok. The station is surrounded by many office buildings, hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, interesting nightlife spots and tourist attractions. Many famous eateries are located in this area.
– Terminal 21, a large shopping complex with one-floor-one theme concept. Each floor has a theme of a major city in the world, including Rome, Paris, Tokyo, London, San Franciscoand Istanbul. Some of the famous places to eat are: Mo Mo Paradise, Pepper Lunch, Piri Piri, Joom Zap Hut and many more. On the 5th floor, you can find one of the best food courts in Bangkok, Pier 21. Taking up almost the entire floor, the food courts offers different local and international dishes. The price is really reasonable so it’s could be very crowded during lunch time!
– El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse is a traditional steakhouse with a modern ambiance. It offers high standard food and service. The quality of the steak is superb. If you’re a beef-lover, you shouldn’t miss it!
Chatuchak Park Station
Chatuchak Park Station is located on Phahon Yothin Road, right in front of Chatuchak Park. It is also the interchange station with BTS Mo Chit Station, where is always crowded with thousands of local residents rushing to work or study on weekdays, and foreign travelers visiting Chatuchak Market on weekends. These are some of my favorite places to eat in the area with affordable prices.
– Jad Jan is an Isaan (North western Thai) restaurant serving wide selection of dishes like chicken wings, som tum, pork sausages, sticky rice and many more.
– Din Pao Naem Nueng is a place where I go if I crave for Vietnamese food. Some recommended dishes are grilled pork with rice vermicelli and steamed tapioca dumplings. They also offer some good Isaan dishes too.
– Room 253 is a hip restaurant serving delicious Thai-Italian fusion food. I love their spicy salmon salad and spaghetti with dried hot pepper with prawns. For desserts, I recommend waffle and banana.
Bangkok MRT is a very convenient way to move around Bangkok. It gives you access to many interesting areas of the city. And if you’re a food explorer, Bangkok MRT can take you to some of the most famous places for good food. Apart from the underground system, Bangkok also has the BTS system which is the skytrain. There are many good places to eat around BTS stations also. Enjoy exploring!